Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Cooley's 'Looking glass self'

Sociologist Charles Cooley is best known for his concept of "looking-glass self", the theory that self-image is formed largely by the messages we get from others, and an individual's interpretation of those messages.

The three components to Cooley's looking glass self are
- envisioning how one's self appears to others
- imagining what others must think of one's appearance
- developing self-feeling, such as pride or shame, from one's understanding of these perceived judgments by others

Essentially we see ourselves through other peoples view and opinions of us C. H. Cooley has summed it up in his statement:
"I am not what I think I am and I am not what you think I am; I am what I think that you think I am.

The picture below shows a great example of the looking glass

No comments:

Post a Comment